Two teams of researchers have had primary responsibility for the creation
of this database. Those teams are based in the
of Demography of the University of California, Berkeley (UCB), and
in the Data Laboratory of the Max Planck Institute for
Demographic Research (MPIDR).
The French Institute for Demographic Studies (INED) has also supported the further development of the database in recent years.
Vladimir Shkolnikov (MPIDR) leads the team of researchers at Max Planck and is Director of the project. Magali Barbieri (UCB and INED) heads the team at Berkeley and is Associate Director of the project. The Founding Director, John Wilmoth (United Nations and formerly UCB), remains affiliated with the project in an advisory capacity only.
Dmitri Jdanov (MPIDR), Kirill Andreev, and Carl Boe
(UCB) wrote the core computer programs that compute population estimates,
death rates and life tables. Eugeny Soroko, Dmitri Jdanov (MPIDR), and
Mary Anderson (UCB) created the current web application. Beate Danielsen provided
programming assistance for checking data quality.
Carl Mason (UCB) created the structure for the internal document archive
used by the Berkeley team and provides additional computer
support. Lisa Yang is the Research Support for the UCB team. Sigrid Gellers-Barkmann
is the MPIDR Team Coordinator. Celeste Winant and Tim Riffe are research programmers, rewriting the HMD codebase, working on other projects, and serving as country specialists.
The following individuals are currently in charge of at least one country
included in the HMD:
Others who have worked for this project in the past, or for one its immediate predecessors, include: Mary Anderson (UCB), Evgeny Andreev (MPIDR), Mila Andreeva (UCB), Lindsay Bergstrom (UCB), Gabriel Borgès (UCB), Michael Bubenheim (MPIDR), Vladimir Canudas-Romo (UCB), Angela Chau (UCB), Barbara Chiang (UCB), Leo Deegan (UCB), Ellen Guan (UCB), Carolyn Hart (UCB), Marguerite Higa (UCB),Shiro Horiuchi (UCB), Eva Kibele (MPIDR), Pavel Grigoriev (MPIDR), Romano Lasker (UCB), Guiping Liu (MPIDR), Hawkin Lui (UCB), Felipe Menarès (UCB), Anjali Menon (UCB), Delicia Nahman (UCB), Dimiter Philipov (MPIDR), Marian Rigney-Hawksworth (UCB), Ethan Roubenoff (UCB), Rembrandt Scholz (MPIDR), Amanda Tanimasa (UCB), Long Wang (UCB), Lijing Yan (UCB), Danzhen You (UCB), Josie Zamudio (UCB), Sibo Zhao (UCB), and Mia Zhong (UCB).
- Magali Barbieri (UCB): France, Japan, and the United States
- Gabriel Borges (UCB): Iceland
- Inna Danilova/Marilla Nepomuceno (MPIDR): Austria, Belarus, Israel, Russia, and Ukraine
- Denys Dukhovnov (UCB): Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland
- Dana Glei (UCB): Chile, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Republic of Korea
- Domantas Jasilionis (MPIDR): Bulgaria, England & Wales, Estonia, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Poland, and Scotland
- Marina Kolobova (MPIDR): Germany
- Laszlo Nemeth (MPIDR): Czechia, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Slovak Republic, and Slovenia